Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Night Owl for life. Or at least until I get a new job/have kids.

I'm a bonafide night owl. It's an addiction. I love staying up late for absolutely no reason. I'm just sitting here, typing this blog, thinking about how I have to be at church at 10:00 in the morning. And it's now 1:00 AM. I know I will be tired tomorrow. I know I will sleep in later than I want to. Yet that's not enough to make me actually go upstairs and go to bed. It's a cycle that I can't seem to break. Probably because to I don't want to break it. Not bad enough, anyway.

What's really funny, is that I only really like staying up late when I am in the comfort of my own home. Or occasionally at the residence of close friends or family. When I'm out though, I hit a certain breaking point, usually between midnight and 1:00 am, where all I can think about is how tired I am and I want to go home. And then the second I walk through my door, it's like I'm wide awake and want to stay up! I don't get it.

This behavior frustrates Sam, who is pretty much the opposite of me. He typically does not like to stay up late, particularly when we are doing nothing at home. He is the quintessential early bird; he loves nothing more than to start his day early so he can get things done, and then come home and be in bed around 10:00, at the latest. However, when we're out somewhere, all he wants to do is stay out late, even if what we're doing is incredibly boring.

This has caused a few quarrels between us. Nothing serious, but he thinks I'm a party-pooper (I do tend to rain on his parade on occasion) and complains when I won't go to bed when he does. It's not that I don't like to go to bed early - if I'm tired, I certainly will - it's that I'm usually not tired until late, and I hate tossing and turning in bed when I can't sleep. So I stay up instead. And type blogs. And surf facebook. And read news. And watch TV. And job search. And occasionally do something productive, like write Thank You notes. Which, by the way, I finally finished for our couple's shower in March.

*Yawns*

Well, I'm getting tired now, so I think I'll go to bed! Goodnight, all!

1 comment:

  1. I actually really miss staying up late. I used to stay up and out pretty late from my late teens well into my 20s and it's only been since hitting 30 that I've started to go to bed around 11. For some reason, a weekend doesn't feel to me like a weekend unless I'm up late, and if I'm going to bed at 11, it might as well be a work night. Still, I'm somewhat on Sam's side. I do really like to get up early on weekends and head out running. It gives me a nice start to my day. Still, I'd say enjoy the late nights while they last, since it probably can't go on forever, and you should appreciate it while you can.

    ReplyDelete