Saturday, November 14, 2009

Conflicted

So the time has come for me to find a new job. I knew it would; that's the whole point behind going to school. I'm graduating with master's degree in December, and would really like to find something before the beginning of the new year. Of course this has left me with all sorts of questions. What do I want to do? Where do I want to be? How do I get there? What are my goals? All of these questions, and more than one answer to each one.

I had an interview on Friday with a managed services company. I must say that I never really envisioned myself in managed services. I didn't even know what that was until a few months ago. I was really excited throughout the interview; it seemed like a really great opportunity. However, the recruiter I interviewed with is mainly hiring for the Dallas area, which left me wondering if Dallas is somewhere I could live. I like Dallas. I mean, it's nice. Very cosmopolitan, and sprawling like Houston. Well-manicured, with an impressive downtown. But could I live there? Honestly, could I? I don't know. It's a nice place, but I could take it or leave it. I was far more impressed with Fort Worth than I was with Dallas. And I'm not too keen on Dallas culture, at least what I know of it. But if the students I go to school with are any representation of the Dallas culture, than I could definitely pass on that. Not pretentious enough for Dallas culture. Maybe I'm being too judgemental? I don't know. If I'm going to move somewhere, it might as well be somewhere I REALLY want to be, and not just somewhere I'm so-so about. At least, as long as I have the option to do that.

Anyway, the recruiter seemed to like me, and passed my resume and information on to the Houston office. I think if I could have my own account in Houston I would enjoy it. It would kind of be like running my own business. We'll see if I hear anything from them.

I'm looking at several marketing positions right now. I really enjoy marketing, and must admit that the steady schedule appeals to me. I've done my share of working nights and weekends, and I'm pretty much done with. There's something to be said for work-life balance. I want to have a family, and a life outside of work, as well as enjoy my job. Is that too much to ask for?

Of course, if I were to own my own business, things would be different. I wouldn't mind working nights and weekends if it was on my own terms. One day, I would like to own a small cafe that features, soups, salads, sandwiches, and pastries. I would love love LOVE to be a pastry chef. Working in managed services would really allow me to experience what it would be like to own a business. But I'm still really drawn to marketing, so I don't know. I'm sure plenty of people have owned cafes without having actually managed a restaurant before. Besides, it's not like I don't have any experience - I've worked in restaurants since I was 16, and will have a degree in Restaurant, Hotel, and Institutional Management. I know all of the principles, it's just the fine details I'm not sharp on right now. But I know if I wanted it bad enough, I could figure it out. Plenty of people have before my time. I guess at some point, you just have to pick something that will make you happy and not stress about what you can't control! If I'm going to own a business one day, I will, and nothing is going to stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment